Superfoods Green Pesto
This is a great #crohns #colitis recipe as it makes the fibrous foods more digestible as it is blended.
Packed full of vitamins:
*Contains greens and spinach (DGLVs are an excellent source of nutrients including folate, zinc, calcium, iron, magnesium, vitamin C and fibre)
*Broad beans which boost immunity and contain several nutrients including vitamins B, C and K and minerals such as manganese, magnesium and zinc.
*Macadamia nuts are a source of vitamin A, iron, protein, thiamine, riboflavin and niacin. They also contain small amounts of selenium (an antioxidant), calcium, phosphorus, potassium and magnesium. Macadamia nuts are also rich in monounsaturated fats, a type of fat that may boost heart health by lowering your total and (bad) cholesterol levels.
*Garlic is a good source of manganese, vitamin C, vitamin B6 and selenium. In addition to this, garlic is a good source of other minerals, including phosphorous, calcium, potassium, iron and copper.
*Capers a big source of natural antioxidants with vitamins such as Vitamin A, E, Manganese, Niacin and calcium.
*Olives are very high in vitamin E and other powerful antioxidants.
- Half an onion, roughly diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 1 tbsp capers
- 100g frozen broad beans
- 70g greens
- 50g spinach
- 80g macadamia nuts
- 1 lime
- 1 tsp chilli, or more if you like it spicy
- 70g green olives, stones removed
- 50g parmesan, plus more to serve
- 1-2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. Sea Salt
- 1 tsp. Pepper
- Pasta of choice, I used fusilli lunghi
- Sauté the onions in a little oil of choice, I used olive, until softened.
- Add the garlic and capers and cook for a minute more.
- Add the broad beans and mix well, let these cook for a few minutes before adding the olives, greens and spinach.
- Place a lid over the pan and turn off the heat. Let this sit for 2-3 minutes.
- Using a blender, puree the above greens mixture along with the macadamia nuts, the juice of the lime, the chilli and parmesan. Pour in the extra virgin olive oil whilst you blend until you get a good smooth texture.
- Season well with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Cook the pasta in salted water and to be al dente. Reserve the pasta water.
- Take a heaped dessertspoon of the pesto per person, add to a pan and turn on the heat. Scoop a ladle of the pasta water and mix well, this will create a creamy sauce.
- Add the pasta and mix, you may need to add a little more pasta water here to get it nice and silky.
- You can add more chilli, salt, pepper and parmesan to taste, if you like.
- Serve with a drizzle of extra virgin.
- The rest of the pesto can be jarred and you can keep in the fridge for later, I usually add a little extra oil to the top once jarred.