CREAMY VEGAN CAVOLO NERO & MUSHROOM PASTA
This #vegan recipe is delicious, the cream is created with silken tofu and nutritional yeast to give it a cheesy taste.
The pasta is topped with the stalks of the Cavolo Nero, finely sliced and pan friend with breadcrumbs and lemon zest for a crunchy texture.
- Mushrooms, I used 3 large portobello and 30g oyster, sliced, (oyster mushrooms have a texture of chicken when cooked)
- 3 large shallots, finely diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, grated and chopped
- 15g fresh thyme leaves, finely diced
- 170ml white wine
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 300g silken tofu
- 2 tbsp. nutritional yeast
- Juice of half a lemon
- 4/5 Cavolo Nero, remove leaves from stems and slice, save the stems for later
- 350g Fusilli bucati, cooked al dente, reserve a cup of pasta water
- 1 crust off bread, blended to be crumbs
- 1 lemon, grate the zest and chop to be fine
- Sauté the mushrooms in olive oil until soft. Set aside for later.
- Add the shallots to the pan and soften, then add the garlic and the thyme cook for a few minutes.
- Pour in the wine and simmer a little before whisking in the mustard.
- In a blender add the silken tofu and the nutritional yeast, blend so it is smooth and creamy.
- Add this cream to the pan and stir.
- Season well with salt and lots of cracked black pepper.
- Squeeze in the juice of half a lime and mix.
- Add the sliced Cavolo Nero leaves and cook for another minute, before adding the cooked mushrooms.
- Add the cooked pasta and a ladle of the pasta water, stir together. You want a creamy and loose sauce so add more pasta water if needed.
- Turn off the heat and prep your topping; finely slice the Cavolo Nero stalks and sauté in olive oil for a few minutes, then add the breadcrumbs and lemon zest, cook until golden.
- Serve the pasta with a good sprinkle of the crunchy topping and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.