This recipe is quick and easy and will impress your friends, it is super tasty and flavoursome. I often cook this when I have a group of people over for dinner as it looks and tastes great, takes no time to cook and always pleases the crowd.
You can use which ever fish you like, and sometimes I add prawns. You can also spice it up by adding extra chilli.
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated
- 1 tbsp ginger, grated
- 3 cloves of garlic, grated
- 3/4 dried chillies
- 1 tbsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1 pint fish stock
- 1 1/2 tbsp. white vinegar
- 2 potatoes, I used 1 white and 1 sweet, chopped into chunks
- 30g coconut cream block
- 2 tbsp. desiccated coconut
- 500g fresh fish, I used a mix of salmon and hake. Cod is also good. Cut into chunks, I left the skin on but you can use skinless.
- Chopped flat leaf parsley for serving
- Dice the tomatoes and sprinkle over the sugar, set aside.
- Using a deep sided frying pan/ sauté pan heat the olive oil and cook the onions and carrots until soft, add the ginger and garlic cook for 2 minutes more.
- Add the cumin, paprika, turmeric and stir. Season really well with salt and pepper.
- Pour in the stock, add the vinegar. Scrape in the tomatoes and all of the sugar juices.
- Add the coconut block and let this dissolve, then chuck in the potatoes and cook until softened.
- Once soft, add the desiccated coconut and stir. Then add the fish evenly in the pan, at this point you don’t want to stir again as the fish will break.
- Cook the fish for around 5-8 minutes.
- Once the fish is cooked serve straight from the pan, sprinkle over fresh parsley and eat with crusty bread.